Former tutor claims student abused her

Abigail Simon faces four counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct against her former student. She is accused on engaging in repeated sexual acts with the 15-year-old boy. However, Simon claims that she is the actual victim:

In testimony punctuated with weeping, Simon said the teen within a matter of weeks in the spring of 2013 used physical intimidation, psychological manipulation and rape to control every aspect of her life – even to the point that she did what he wanted when she was on the other side of the country.

“My thoughts, my life, were consumed with making (the teen) happy,” she said. “It was bizarre.”

It gets more bizarre:

Simon was questioned all day by her attorney, describing events from the beginning of their relationship that started with him slapping her after accusing her of spending too much time with other students she was tutoring.

She wept as she explained how the boy managed to get her to take him to restaurants, drive him to Chicago and South Bend and let him into her apartment all using threats against her and himself.

Two things come to mind. One, this is the case that should have prompted Joanna Schroeder’s ire about double standards against male victims. What man could take the stand and claim that his 15-year-old female victim controlled his life and expect anyone to take such a claim serious? Continue reading

Man freed after 19 years of wrongful imprisonment

A jury convicted Jerry Lee Brock of child molestation in 1995. They reached their decision based on the testimony of then 11-year-old Regina Rush. Rush claimed that Brock molested her as she slept. As a result of prior convictions for burglary and promoting prostitution, Brock received life in prison under the “three-strikes” law.

However, there was a problem: there was no abuse. Rush lied. She waited until 2012 to come forward, writing a six-page letter explaining her actions:

She said she made up the story because she wanted attention from her mother and because she worried that Brock was a drug user and a bad influence on her mom.

Price held a hearing Nov. 10 to assess Rush’s credibility. Now 31 and a mother herself, she testified under oath, detailing that she had previously been taken away from her mother due to her mother’s drug use, and she didn’t want it to happen again.

“Ms. Rush testified that she realized just how wrong it is to make such serious false accusations,” the judge wrote in his order Thursday. “The dishonesty was eating away at her inside and she didn’t want to carry that burden any longer. … She simply wanted to clear her conscience.”

Interesting how it took nearly 20 years for Rush to want to clear her conscience. Continue reading

Stop The Abuse: The Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted

Often times people want to help others but do not know how. This cannot be any truer than when it comes to helping abused men and boys. The resources sometimes are not apparent and are often difficult to find. Sometimes the resources are hidden or even barred by other groups who wish to polarize the issue. The intent here is to provide those who wish to help male victims with the opportunity to do so. Every month I will post a new link to an organization that provides services for male victims. As the list grows, I will create a page where all the links can be found.

Please remember that you do no have to empty your wallets to help. Even a small donation can go a long way. And for those on the other side of the issue, it would go a long way to demonstrating real concern for all victims if you donated as well.

—–

The Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted

The Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted (AIDWYC) is a Canadian volunteer organization dedicated to preventing and rectifying wrongful convictions.

AIDWYC was founded in 1993. It is the direct successor to the Justice for Guy Paul Morin Committee, a grassroots organization that formed to support Guy Paul Morin immediately following his wrongful conviction in 1992.

When Guy Paul Morin was released on bail in February 1993 pending his appeal, this Committee reconstituted itself as AIDWYC, with the goal of acting in defence of all persons who have been wrongly convicted.

AIDWYC has two broad objectives: first, eradicating the conditions that can cause miscarriages of justice; and second, participating in the review and, where warranted, correction of wrongful convictions.
AIDWYC is a primarily voluntary, non-profit organization. At this time, AIDWYC’s focus is limited to murder convictions only.

Please donate and help make a difference.

Bulletin Board v238

Campus Health does not offer equal support for male survivors — The University knows it can’t provide identical services for male and female survivors of sexual violence. But instead of providing equal resources for both groups, Counseling and Psychological Services has largely pushed the needs of male survivors off campus. There is only enough interest to run one sexual assault survivor group on campus, which is open to female-identified survivors.

The CDC’s Rape Numbers Are Misleading — “CDC: Nearly 1 in 5 Women Raped.” “One in Five U.S. Women Has Been Raped: CDC Survey.” These alarming headlines were typical of the coverage of last week’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report on sexual and intimate violence in the United States. The CDC study—the second in two years—seems to support a radical feminist narrative that has been gaining mainstream attention recently: that modern America is a “rape culture” saturated with misogynistic violence.

Men’s helpline gets 25,000 calls over four months — SIF, the mobile app launched five months ago for the protection of men’s rights, has received a mega response in the last four months. The app, launched by Save India Family Foundation NGO, has received 25,000 calls in the last four-five months. It was launched to help men at the receiving end of domestic violence or slapped with false rape cases with a dedicated helpline “08882498498”. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v237

Breaking the stigma surrounding male rape — South Africa’s rape statistics are among the highest in the world. Most interventions to reduce these figures focus on female survivors. Matrix Men, an organisation that supports male rape survivors, says the stigma surrounding this crime makes it difficult to obtain reliable statistics. Activists believe as many as one in six men will in their lifetime suffer sexual abuse – and say men should start talking about it.

Ex-Big Brothers volunteer seeks to overturn sex abuse conviction — The judge who heard the child sexual abuse case against a McHenry County Big Brothers volunteer should not have allowed testimony alleging the man committed inappropriate acts decades ago, his attorney argued Thursday in appellate court. Attorney Doug Johnson asked a 2nd District appeals panel in Elgin to throw out the conviction of Leonard Puccini, 54, a Bull Valley man who was found guilty last year of sexually abusing a 12-year-old boy in 2009 whom he was mentoring through the Big Brothers.

‘I was raped at age 14 but told nobody for 28 years’ says client of new men’s counselling group — A FATHER-of-two has told of the difference a new rape counselling service specifically for men could make for victims. Upper Heyford-based Clean Slate launched its Adult Rape Outreach Service (AMOS) and Talking Young Men service (TYM) on Monday, with the help of £9,500 National Lottery funding. AMOS will provide counselling, help and advice to men over 16 and TYM will offer the same service to boys between age nine and 16. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v235

Callum Carson bravely breaks a social taboo by openly talking about being the victim of male rape — SCOTLAND has witnessed a steep increase in the number of rapes reported to police. But while this crime is often viewed as an attack on women, there are male victims too. It is rare for anyone to publicly share their experience of rape – particularly a man. Callum Carson, from Bathgate, waived his right to anonymity to share his story in a bid to raise the issue of male rape and highlight a system that he feels let him down.

Charge: Self-styled swim coach molested gravely ill boy at Seattle Children’s hospital — An Idaho man accused of sexually assaulting a seriously ill boy at Seattle Children’s hospital now faces a child molestation charge. A self-styled swim coach, John Hudspeth was caught by Children’s staff molesting the boy while he was being treated at the hospital, King County prosecutors say in charging papers. Hudspeth, a 63-year-old resident of St. Maries, Idaho, is alleged to have spent years grooming the boy for abuse prior to the sexual assaults.

Coventry rape centre launches counselling service for men — Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre has launched a counselling service for men. The project will provide specialist counselling to men who have experienced any form of rape or sexual abuse at any point in their lives. It will also help fathers and adult male siblings of abused children. CRASAC already supports younger males from the ages of five to 18, but in the past, there was no provision for adult men. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v233

After Completing A 12-Year Sentence, A Texas Man Is Cleared By DNA — There aren’t many cheery occasions in criminal courts. But on Friday morning, Judge Gracie Lewis’ courtroom in Dallas, Tex., was packed with reporters, well-wishers and other exonerated men. And joy filled the room. Craig Watkins, the district attorney of Dallas County, walked over to where Michael Phillips sat in his wheelchair and apologized for the state of Texas.

Ban on male child carers considered after ‘horrific’ abuse case — The South Australian government is prepared to consider radical laws, including banning men from working as child carers, after a carer was accused of horrific child sex abuse. A 32-year-old Adelaide man employed by Families SA has been charged with seven counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with young children under his watch at a residential care facility.

Boy, 8, to mom: ‘You’re going to kill me,’ LMPD report says — An 8-year-old boy told his mother, “You’re going to kill me,” as she allegedly strangled him with a rope. That’s what a Louisville Metro Police arrest report said after the arrest of Kimberly Anderson, 40, for attempted murder and criminal abuse. On the afternoon of July 22, officers were dispatched to the 6900 block of Rock Hollow Drive after Anderson called police, saying she strangled the little boy. Anderson told officers she contemplated killing the victim with a knife or a rope, but finally decided on the rope because he would “just pass out,” the report said. Continue reading