Boko Haram kidnaps 97 boys and the world remains silent

I knew this would eventually happen:

The Islamist terror group Boko Haram kidnapped at least 97 men and boys and killed 28 people this week in a raid on villages in Borno State in northeast Nigeria, a local leader and residents said Friday.

Boko Haram gunmen also injured 25 others during the raid in which scores of homes were burned, the sources said.

The gunmen raided the farming and fishing village of Doron Baga and surrounding villages on the shores of Lake Chad, about 110 miles north of the state capital, Maiduguri.

The raid and kidnappings occurred on Monday, but the news did not emerge sooner due to lack of communication and because cell phone towers were destroyed in previous Boko Haram attacks.

It is worth noting that even though the majority of the victims of this series of kidnappings and murders were male, various media outlets chose to ignore their sex. For example, the CNN article quote above is titled “Boko Haram kidnaps at least 97, kills 28 in raid.Continue reading

Bulletin Board v234

Bristol boy, 7, was ‘tied up and sexually abused’ in changing room — The complainant in an alleged historic sex case told a jury he was tied up and sexually abused as a child. Former Downend man Richard Wilmot was a teenager himself when he preyed on a boy aged as young as seven, in assaults which included a swimming pool and park, Bristol Crown Court has been told. Rupert Taylor, defending, said each allegation did not take place. But when each instance of alleged abuse was raised, the complainant told the court: “It did happen.”

Lawyer who launched sexual-abuse case against Bryan Singer withdraws — A lawyer who launched a high-profile legal action against X-Men director Bryan Singer over alleged abuse of a 17-year-old boy in 1999 has controversially withdrawn from the court case. Jeff Herman had been representing plaintiff Michael F Egan III, a one-time Hollywood hopeful who claims he was raped by the film-maker and forced to take cocaine at sex parties in Los Angeles and Hawaii more than 15 years ago. The Hollywood Reporter says the civil case filed on Egan’s behalf against Singer remains open but that Herman has dropped his client.

The Many Fabricated Enemies of Feminists — Writing in The Atlantic recently, Conor Friedersdorf claimed: “Feminism has actual enemies. Fabricating more is perverse.” Perish the thought. Friedersdorf wrote these words after finding himself on the wrong end of the feminist ire squad: having written an even-handed article defending George Will from the excesses of feminist vanity and left-wing outraged indignation, Friedersdorf was treated to a terrific example of feminsm’s insatiable ability to “fabricate enemies.” Continue reading

Bulletin Board v232

30 Years of Abuse — RAMPANT abuse, including of a sexual nature, at the St Michael’s Home for Boys in Diego Martin is not a recent phenomena and has been going on, at the very least, for the past 30 years, a former inmate told Newsday yesterday. The ex-inmate, now a happily married, gainfully employed father in his mid-40s, who owns his own home and car, spoke on the basis of strict anonymity with Newsday yesterday.

Abused boy ate insects to survive, ‘looked like Holocaust victim,’ police say — A 7-year-old Pennsylvania boy who reportedly was nearly starved to death, suffered regular beatings and resorted to eating insects has been released from the hospital and is now in foster care, WPXI-TV – Pittsburgh reports. Child welfare workers, responding to a complaint, found the child looking like a human skeleton in a home in Greenville last month, police said.

An abuse victim’s new book shatters an unholy vow of silence — ‘Sworn to Silence’ a recollectuion of the clerical abuse of a boy, reflects on blame and shame in 1970s Ireland, says Dan Buckley. BLESS me, Father, for I have sinned. Those are the words that the Catholic Church authorities in Ireland expected of a 14-year-old boy as his response to years of abuse by paedophile priest Brendan Smyth. “I knew that the quizzing about confession was all about me and my fault,” says Brendan Boland, now 53, in Sworn To Silence, his memoir published today. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v231

Alleged victim tells court of abuse by five different paedophiles in youth — An elderly Dublin man has gone on trial accused of sexually abusing a boy and paying him money in a flat over thirty years ago. The alleged victim told a jury today that he was abused by five different paedophiles during his youth, including the accused. The accused man (73) has pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to indecently assaulting the male, who was aged between 11 and 13 years old, on dates from October 1983 to June 1985.

Boy Found in Basement Alleges Long-Term Abuse by Parents — When a 12-year-old Detroit boy went missing on June 14 and was found 11 days later, it should have been a day to rejoice. Instead, his discovery in the family’s basement has turned into weeks of unanswered questions, with some unsettling information about what the child’s life may have been like.

Defence taskforce finds appalling abuse — TEENAGE recruit Graham’s life was ruined on the night he was raped twice at a West Australian naval training base and he’s lived with the trauma ever since. THE appalling abuse of Graham and other junior sailors as young as 15 was all too common at HMAS Leeuwin, the Defence Abuse Response Taskforce (DART) says. Their stories could now be referred to the ongoing royal commission into child sex abuse, with many parallels to the effects of abuse by pedophile priests and others emerging from the hearings. Continue reading

Diocese claims priest was “off duty” when he molested boy

A Catholic diocese created a clever excuse for ignoring child rape: the offending priest was “off duty.” From the article:

The Catholic diocese of Trenton, New Jersey says it wasn’t responsible for a teenage boy’s molestation because the priest was ‘off duty’ at the time of the abuse.

Victim Chris Naples claims Reverend Terence McAlinden, now 73, sexually assaulted him hundreds of times over the course of a decade, starting when he was just 13 years old.

Now 42, Naples is suing the diocese in Mercer County since other church leaders knew about the abuse and did nothing.

Naples previously lost a suit against the diocese in Delaware, where some of the abuse allegedly took place. It was during that case that attorneys for the diocese used the controversial argument that they couldn’t be held responsible for Rev McAlinden’s actions, because abusing a child is not part of a priest’s ‘duties’.

This is the first time I have heard this argument. Since raping a child is not part of a priest’s duties, if a priest commits child rape he is apparently off duty. A lawyer for the diocese attempted to explain: Continue reading

Bulletin Board v230

Child sex abuse royal commission hears paedophile Marist brother dressed students up before abusing them — A NOTORIOUS paedophile Marist brother made one boy dress up in women’s clothing and then kiss him, the child sex abuse royal commission has been told today. The 65-year-old man said he still found it difficult to talk about it even 53 years later. He said that Brother Kostka Chute, then aged about 26, had told him there was going to be a school play at the Marcellin school in Randwick.

Domestic violence: male victim tells of wife’s abuse — Eric was insulted, spat on and slapped in front of his children, but he did not want them to think he was breaking up with their mother. “Fear of losing custody of my children, fear that I would be perceived as the perpetrator, fear that things could get worse and uncertainty of finding shelter kept me from taking action,” he told The Sunday Times of Malta.

Feminism Is Directly Responsible For The Rise of Men’s Right’s Groups — The recent rise of men’s right’s activist groups is due to two primary reasons. 1) Men are responding to some of the double standards and biases introduced in some feminist philosophy. 2) Men have realized the need to increase advocacy and awareness of issues primarily affecting the male gender just as feminism has done the same for the female gender. Unfortunately, the rise of men’s advocacy groups has been met with an onslaught of bashing, shaming and name-calling from feminist groups. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v229

Boys abused in silence — A senior official of Women Incorporated in western Jamaica has decried the cloak of silence that results in many cases of sexual and physical abuse against boys going unreported in the society. Elise Thomas, western regional director of Woman Incorporated, whose office covers St James, Hanover, Westmoreland, and Trelawny, indicated that many persons have blatantly refused to report cases of sexual abuse against boys because they believe the boys will be too ashamed in a society that celebrates ideas of masculinity in its males.

Paedophile priest Frank Klep targeted sick boys — A JUDGE has broken down while jailing a Victorian paedophile priest who plummeted the “depths of evil hypocrisy” in his abuse of 15 schoolchildren. Frank Klep preyed on sick and vulnerable boys while running the infirmary at Salesian College in Rupertswood, telling one of his victims that what he was doing was “natural”.

Trafficked Boys Overlooked — For years, the sex trade was “their” problem, a heinous part of culture in poorer nations. But attention here to sex trafficking has slowly increased in recent years with the reauthorization of the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act and other federal state laws. Still, males remain a largely invisible population within the dialogue on sex trafficking.

Victim abused by Jewish camp leader ‘shunned for speaking out’ — A MAN who was abused as a child by a Jewish camp leader says the Sydney orthodox community has labelled him an “informer”, and has shunned and bullied him for speaking out. Daniel “Gug” Hayman, 50, has pleaded guilty to the aggravated indecent assault of a then 14-year-old boy at a Jewish camp south of Sydney in the late 1980s.

World largely turns a blind eye to male rape — Two male political dissidents in Egypt, Omar el-Shouekh and Fadi Samir, reported that while in police detention in Cairo they were beaten, tortured and subjected to sexual assault. Their claim brings renewed attention to a phenomenon that is largely ignored and poorly addressed but that causes significant psychological and physical damage to its victims: sexual abuse of males.