New CDC report shows increase in sexual violence against males

The CDC released a report on the rate of sexual and domestic violence in 2011. Tamen wrote an excellent breakdown of the new findings. I can do no better, and will not attempt to. I suggest reading his post. Tamen created a graphs showing the difference between the 2010 and 2011 findings. As he notes, the press release makes no mention of the increased rate of sexual violence against males. It focuses solely on female victimization.

Tamen also notes that the CDC does not appear to follow its own definition of rape, and the organization continued to exclude “being forced to penetrate” as rape. This is despite the increase in men reporting being forced to penetrate and reporting more female perpetrator.

I mentioned on Feminist Critiics that the CDC’s seeming disinterest in sharing information about male victimization may be a reaction to advocates for male survivors and men’s rights activists.

 

Rape away the gay

The lengths religious fundamentalists will go to “combat” homosexuality never cease to amaze me. I wrote about a case last year in which a pastor received a reduced sentence for raping boys. His reason for his actions was that he “believed that he could rape away the gay by ‘praying while he had sexual contact’ with the boys, all in an effort to keep them ‘sexually pure’ for God” and that “when they would ejaculate, they would be getting rid of the evil thoughts in their mind.”

Others are more creative in their excuses:

A gay Mississippi man says a male teacher at the Baptist school he attended in the 1990s raped him each week for three years as a way to force him to change his sexual orientation.

Jeff White told the Washington Blade during a July 14 interview at a restaurant near his home on the Mississippi Gulf Coast the teacher at Bethel Baptist School in Walls, Miss., who he identified as Steven Barnes, scheduled an “appointment” with him each Wednesday in his classroom or the office where he forced him to have oral and anal sex. [...] “He would rape me because I was gay and because it would make me hate men and make me change,” said White.

It gets worse. Continue reading

Arizona to force child rape victim to pay child support

Eight years ago, a 20-year-old woman raped then 14-year-old Nick Olivas. Arizona law states that no child under 14 can consent to sex with an adult. Legally, this makes the sexual encounter rape, however, Olivas never considered reporting the crime. Instead, he finished high school, attended college, and became a medical assistant. Two years ago, the woman made a reappearance:

Then two years ago, the state served him with papers demanding child support. That’s how he found out he had a then-6-year-old daughter.

“It was a shock,” he said. “I was living my life and enjoying being young. To find out you have a 6-year-old? It’s unexplainable. It freaked me out.”

He said he panicked, ignored the legal documents and never got the required paternity test. The state eventually tracked him down.

Olivas, a 24-year-old Phoenix resident, said he now owes about $15,000 in back child support and medical bills going back to the child’s birth, plus 10 percent interest. The state seized money from his bank account and is now garnisheeing his wages at $380 a month.

This is not the first time a male victim of child rape has been forced to pay his rapist. The article recounts two other instances: Continue reading

Bulletin Board v236

Barbara Brooks: Former foster parent pleads guilty to raping children, gets 7 years behind bars — A Colerain Township woman accused of sexually abusing children she babysat pleaded guilty to rape charges Friday in a plea deal. Barbara Brooks, a 63-year-old former Hamilton County foster parent, pleaded not guilty in June 2012 to charges of sexually assaulting four different children she babysat between January 2000 and Feb. 27, 2007.

Child sex abuse royal commission: Catholic priest abused two generations of boys in the same family, inquiry hears — Tony Hersbach and his twin brother Will were molested by Father Victor Rubeo in Melbourne in the 1960s. The priest then abused Tony’s two sons, Paul and Adam, in the 1980s. Paul Hersbach gave evidence to the commission on Monday, and he and his father gave an exclusive interview to the ABC’s 7.30 program about how the domineering and charismatic priest managed to take hold and control their family.

Former Church Youth Leader Sentenced to 40 Years for Child Sex Abuse — Nathaniel Morales, a former youth group leader at the Maryland-based Covenant Life Church and who was convicted in May for sexually abusing three young boys, has been sentenced to 40 years in prison. The judge called him a “cowardly pervert” and a “pathetic human being.” Judge Terrance McGann of Montgomery County Circuit Court sentenced Morales, 56, to 40 years in state prison for molesting at least four boys while ministering at Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, Maryland, during the 1980s, WJLA reports. Continue reading

Losing religion

A video of a young man coming out to his family has gone viral. Daniel Ashley Pierce recorded an “intervention” his family set up to confront him about being gay. Their reaction is  tragic, abusive, and a testament to the profound stupidity of holding onto ancient religious beliefs.

That is not how to react to your child coming out as gay. Continue reading

The Good Men Project ran an article blaming male victims

Given the feminist spin on the Good Men Project, it was only a matter of time before the editors ran an article victim blaming men for the abuse they suffer. One could argue they have done it before. They ran plenty of articles written by Hugo Schwyzer and Jamie Utt that tacitly excuse and deny male victimization. However, I cannot recall anything as pernicious as author Talisa’s When Girls Attack.

I will spare readers the extra click and post the entire article here (that way if anyone at GMP grows a conscience and decides to remove the piece they cannot pretend it did not exist): Continue reading

Boko Haram kidnaps 97 boys and the world remains silent

I knew this would eventually happen:

The Islamist terror group Boko Haram kidnapped at least 97 men and boys and killed 28 people this week in a raid on villages in Borno State in northeast Nigeria, a local leader and residents said Friday.

Boko Haram gunmen also injured 25 others during the raid in which scores of homes were burned, the sources said.

The gunmen raided the farming and fishing village of Doron Baga and surrounding villages on the shores of Lake Chad, about 110 miles north of the state capital, Maiduguri.

The raid and kidnappings occurred on Monday, but the news did not emerge sooner due to lack of communication and because cell phone towers were destroyed in previous Boko Haram attacks.

It is worth noting that even though the majority of the victims of this series of kidnappings and murders were male, various media outlets chose to ignore their sex. For example, the CNN article quote above is titled “Boko Haram kidnaps at least 97, kills 28 in raid.Continue reading