£5m claim over sex abuse by Jesuit priest can go ahead — A lawyer who suffered years of regular sexual abuse by a Jesuit priest as a child was told today that his claim for up to £5m compensation against a Catholic school can proceed. Patrick Raggett, now 50, was told by the high court in London it accepted that the late Father Michael Spencer abused him while he attended Preston Catholic College in the 1970s. The court heard the priest “took every opportunity to get him on his own and … require him to remove his clothes after which he would touch him sexually and observe and film him in various degrading positions”.
Abused men who suffer in silence need help — It’s hard to break free from a narrative once it has been established in the public mind. It’s even more difficult when the narrative is constantly refreshed by government pronouncements and backed by tens of millions of pounds of “public information” campaigns and funding for agencies that will, of course, echo the same message. When the narrative is well-established, journalists get out of the habit of testing its assumptions; researchers are commissioned to look for only what they are expected to find and politicians pronounce by press release without fear of contradiction. But problems arise, people are damaged and the public is badly served when the narrative becomes increasingly insufficient to deal with the facts staring us in the face.
Haberdashers’ Aske’s teacher went on to abuse boys after resignation from school — A 72-year-old former teacher at a top boys school who “hypnotised” his victims before carrying out sexual assaults has begun a 27-month prison sentence. Peter Clulow resigned from Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys School in Elstree in the 1980s after two teenage boys accused him of molesting them. Clulow was banned from working at any boys schools, but nothing was done to prevent him taking in private pupils. And it was during private maths lessons that Clulow had access to young boys who he preyed on during sailing trips aboard his boat The Saraband.
Jury selection to begin Wednesday in Seattle Archdiocese sex-abuse trial — The trial, to be held in King County Superior Court, involves Patrick O’Donnell, a former priest in the Spokane Diocese who served at Seattle’s St. Paul Church from 1976 to 1978. O’Donnell was removed from ministry in the mid-1980s and has admitted to molesting at least 30 boys. The trial involves two of four men who, in a 2005 lawsuit, accused Seattle Archdiocese leaders of failing to protect them from O’Donnell during the time he was a priest at St. Paul’s. O’Donnell had been sent by the Spokane bishop to Seattle in 1976 for sexual-deviancy treatment after an allegation arose in Spokane.
Just a quarter of teachers are men, research shows — The number of male teachers has plummeted to a record low of just one in every four, new figures have revealed A generation of boys will encounter barely any male role models throughout their education, opposition MPs warned. In primary schools just one in ten teachers are male and in secondary schools just under half are men – a dramatic change from 20 years ago when men had a majority in secondary staff rooms. Figures disclosed by Schools Minister Jim Knight in a Commons written answer show that just 41 per cent of state school secondary teachers – including heads – were men last year. This is down from 47 per cent when Labour came to power in 1997.
Local man gets life sentence in child porn, abuse case — A Folsom man and self-proclaimed prophet was recently sentenced to life in prison for what is being called one of the most horrific child sexual abuses cases in the greater Sacramento area. Allen Harrod, 61, was found guilty by a federal jury in February 2008 of six counts of the interstate travel of four minors for the purpose of engaging in unlawful sexual conduct with children, including his own, and one count each for the “transfer” of his 7-year-old son for sexual purposes. (Conveniently, the boy’s mother, Irene Hunt, who also actively participated in raping her son, was given a plea deal for her testimony and received only 20 years, which is to be served concurrently with another 14 years for taking her son to be raped)
Moms Beware! Protect Your Adolescent Boys — It seems almost every day we are hearing about another young teenage boy seduced into an “affair” with an older woman who was his teacher, coach, or the mom of his best friend. Make no mistake: these women are sexual predators and it is high time our society starts treating them as such. The cycle of emotional and physical damage caused by this type of abuse will last a young boy’s lifetime if not worked through in therapy. As a society, we have in the past chalked this behavior up to “young boys just getting lucky” and “I wish I had a teacher that wanted to have sex with me,” but these are simply ill-informed statements with total disregard for the true fall-out for these boys.
Old Firm link to rise in male domestic abuse — Men are more likely to be on the receiving end of domestic abuse by a female partner on Old Firm match weekends than during other weekends of the year, according to new figures. The total number of reported incidents of domestic abuse increases by 41% when Rangers and Celtic play each other. It has previously been thought that alcohol-fuelled aggression may be leading men to take their anger out on their partners, but new statistics from Strathclyde Police show that men are also increasingly the victims. Between one in five and one in six of all incidents of domestic abuse recorded on Old Firm match weekends are men on the receiving end of female abuse, compared with an average of one in eight reported in the police force area in 2007/08.
Orthodox Jewish Community Struggles With Abuse Allegations — Engelman’s is among a handful of publicized cases of alleged abuse within the insular Orthodox Jewish community. But alleged victims and their advocates say it is far from an isolated instance. The Brooklyn district attorney’s office, which last month announced a hotline for alleged Orthodox sex abuse victims, says it has 19 active cases of alleged sex abuse in the borough’s Orthodox Jewish community. And advocates say the problem extends beyond Brooklyn. “If you’re a pedophile, just go to one of the orthodox communities. You’re probably safest there,” said New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind, himself an Orthodox Jew. “It’s sad for me to say that, but it’s true.”
Port St. Lucie woman accused of stabbing husband, child abuse — A woman accused of stabbing her husband with a curtain rod, biting his arms and hitting him with a cast iron pan as their 2-year-old son was nearby is facing charges, according to recently released records. Tetyana Demyanovych, 33, faces felony counts of aggravated battery and aggravated child abuse in connection with the Tuesday incidents. Demyanovych’s 43-year-old husband told police he was cooking meatballs for his son when Demyanovych got angry over alleged uncompleted chores he was supposed to do, mainly building a fence.
Sentenced to death, Darfur men face ‘horrific treatment’ — The 82 Darfuri men sentenced to death by special courts in Khartoum are being held in inhumane conditions and many have been tortured, according to a rebel group and Amnesty International. The men were captured and imprisoned when rebels attacked Sudan’s capital city in May 2008. A group of 50 was sentenced to death during July and August 2008, 10 more on April 15, 2009, 11 on April 22, and another 11 on April 26. Lawyers for those convicted more recently have a week in which to appeal.
SPLC Sues Mississippi County to Stop ‘Shocking’ Abuse of Children at Detention Center — The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi on behalf of a 17-year-old boy who, despite attempting suicide while in the facility, has received no mental health treatment. He has been subjected to physical abuse and filthy conditions, and has been forced to sleep on the floor in an overcrowded, insect-infested cell. The Harrison County Juvenile Detention Center in Biloxi, Miss., has been operated by a private corporation, the Mississippi Security Police, for more than nine years at an annual cost of $1.6 million.
Surrey woman who issued “command to kill” 16-year-old denied bail — An appeal court judge has dismissed a bail application by Katherine Quinn, who was convicted in 2007 of being involved in the beating death of Matthew Martins, 16. “I’m not persuaded bail is appropriate at this time,” B.C. Court of Appeal Justice Mary Newbury concluded Tuesday after hearing submissions by the Crown and defence. The judge noted that while Quinn, 26, had no previous criminal record, she had a history of having a “terrible temper” and had showed she is capable of violence.