‘Austin Powers’ henchman gets life in prison in rape-torture case — To millions of moviegoers he was Doctor Evil’s henchman Random Task. But now a 40-year-old Orange County actor famous from an “Austin Powers” movie will be spending life in state prison in connection with a 1990 Christmas Eve gang rape and torture of a woman taking a walk to see the seasonal lights. Joseph Hyungmin Son was found guilty Aug. 25 of felony torture, an offense that carries a life term without possibility of parole. The actor was originally charged three years ago with numerous sex crimes but because of a statute of limitations, prosecutors eventually won a conviction on torture.
Child sex abuse claims mount against Boy Scouts — Four Oregon men sued the Boy Scouts of America on Tuesday for $20 million over childhood sexual abuse they say they suffered at the hands of a pedophile knowingly appointed as their scoutmaster in the 1970s. The four lawsuits, filed in Multnomah County Circuit Court in Portland, accuse the national Boy Scouts and its Cascade Pacific Council of negligence, fraud and sexual battery of a child in connection with the repeated molestation of the men, then aged 12 to 15.
Child abuse victims accuse pope of crimes against humanity — The Chicago-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) said it had filed the complaint with the ICC with help from lawyers from the non-profit US Centre for Constitutional Rights (CCR). They called on the court “take action and prosecute the Pope and three other high-ranking Vatican officials for their direct and superior responsibility for the crimes against humanity of rape and other sexual violence committed around the world.” “Crimes against tens of thousands of victims, most of them children, are being covered up by officials at the highest level of the Vatican,” CCR lawyer Pam Spees said in a statement.
Children rescued from home after abuse by Brit paedophile — Even as the police are exploring legal options to bring to book a British national, who allegedly sodomised children at a home in Tirunelveli, who is at present in far away London,the social welfare department officials have rescued the children from the infamous home on Monday night. The children – 33 including 10 girls – aged between 10 and 18 years were shifted from the home run by Grail Trust in rural Chinnammalpuram in rural Valliyur to another home named Saranalayam in Tirunelveli city.
Church worker Peter Stewart sexually abused boy, 12 — A former church worker who indecently assaulted a 12-year-old boy more than 10 years ago has been jailed after a police investigation using special memory retrieval techniques. Peter James Stewart, 39, from Andover in Hampshire, was convicted of four counts of indecent assault following a seven-day trial at Canterbury Crown Court. On Tuesday he was sentenced to two years in prison. The sex attacks took place in 1995 while Stewart was a youth pastoral assistant at St Mary Bredin Church in Nunnery Fields, Canterbury.
Dublin Woman Accused Of Raping Baby Pleads Not Guilty — A Dublin woman is given a $1 million bond after she pleads not guilty to charges accusing her of raping a 10-month-old male. Ashley Jessup, 24, was arraigned in Franklin County common pleas court Monday. She pleaded not guilty to all charges, and a judge set her bond at $1 million. Jessup also asked for a court-appointed lawyer during her arraignment. Last week, the Franklin County grand jury indicted Jessup on four felony counts: two counts of rape, one count of endangering children and one count of pandering sexually oriented matter involving a minor.
Ex-Mormon bishop pleads guilty to child sex abuse — A former Mormon bishop and co-founder of a nonprofit group that helps women and children in Third World villages faces sentencing in November for sexually abusing children. Lon Harvey Kennard, 69, from Heber City, Utah, pleaded guilty this week to three counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child. Each count involves a different victim, and carries a sentence of 5 years to life. The victims were among six children the man and his wife adopted from Ethiopia, where the couple helped establish an orphanage.
Former altar boy sues bishop of San Jose — The Roman Catholic bishop of San Jose has been served with a lawsuit from a 23-year-old San Jose former altar boy who alleges a priest sexually abused him a decade ago. Matthew Frazer alleges that as a shy boy in the eighth grade, he was fondled by the Rev. Don Flickinger at St. Frances Cabrini Church in San Jose in December 2001. “It’s unusual for victims to come forward this soon,” said the young man’s attorney, Tim Hale of Santa Barbara, explaining that 10 years, in his view, is not a long time to report a crime of sexual violence. “Some victims take this to their graves. Others, in their 30s, 40s or 50s after a lifetime of problems. This is way out of the ordinary.”
Group to help male victims of sex abuse — It may be difficult for men to admit they need support in coping with the effects of sexual assault as a child. It can be more difficult for them to admit such atrocities even occurred. “Men often don’t identify sexual abuse as sexual abuse,” said Donna Forster, program coordinator at K3C Counselling Centres where a new support group for male victims of sexual assault is being established. “They may have had an older female approach them and suggest sexual relations. Many men don’t perceive that as having been sexually abused.”
Pope ousts Texas priest convicted of child abuse — A priest serving 50 years in a Texas prison for abusing a boy has been dismissed from the clergy. The Fort Worth Roman Catholic Diocese on Friday said Pope Benedict XVI has decreed that 70-year-old Thomas Teczar is no longer a priest. Teczar was with the Fort Worth diocese from 1988-93 and served in several parishes, including Ranger, where the then-11-year-old boy was abused.
RIVERSIDE: Hearing postoned for boy accused of killing Neo-Nazi dad — An arraignment was postponed for a third time Monday for an 11-year-old boy charged with murdering his Neo-Nazi father inside their Riverside home. The boy appeared in Riverside Juvenile Court where his attorney requested additional time for psychological evaluations. The boy sat with his attorney, wearing an orange juvenile hall jumpsuit and shackles, with his blond hair buzzed closely. His biological mother, stepmother and grandmother sat in the back of the courtroom during the brief hearing.
Scourge of male rape in SA prisons — It was Mxolisi Ndawo’s third night in jail when he witnessed a man being raped by another man. He had heard scary stories about the dangerous life in prison but what he was forced to watch that freezing winter night in May 2009 would vividly forever haunt him. “I watched helplessly a man my age, Bonga Mdluli (not his real name), being raped. He screamed like a baby and pleaded with the man to stop but he didn’t. What terrified me the most was that I knew my turn was coming,” Ndawo said.
Teen’s Suicide Blamed on Priest’s Abuse — Parents say a priest’s repeated sexual abuse of their son drove the teen-ager to commit suicide, and that the Diocese did not “admonish” the priest until 25 years after the boy’s death. Donald and Rosemary Teeman say their son, Brian, shot himself in 1983 while he was a freshman at Archbishop O’Hara High School after prolonged abused by Monsignor Thomas O’Brien.