Boston archbishop: ‘Sorrow’ over child sex abuse scandal is still deep — Ten years after public recognition of serious sexual abuse at the hands of Roman Catholic priests within the Archdiocese of Boston, Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley, the archbishop, issued a letter and his reflections on the “problem with a history far deeper than any … had imagined, that had been wreaking havoc along its course.” On Wednesday O’Malley released a document contemplating the abuse crisis over the past decade.
Conn. university, Jesuits sued over man’s sex abuse of poor Haitian children and young adults — Seventeen Haitian men are suing Fairfield University in Connecticut, the Society of Jesus and others alleging they failed to protect them from a man who sexually abused them when they were poor children or young adults attending a school he founded in Haiti. The lawsuits bring to 21 the number of alleged victims suing Douglas Perlitz and the others. Perlitz was sentenced in 2010 to nearly 20 years in prison for sexually abusing children at Project Pierre Toussaint.
Ex-bishop in child porn case to be freed — A former Catholic bishop in Canada has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for importing child pornography – including some laced with religious imagery – but will be freed after already serving time in jail. Raymond Lahey, 71, resigned as head of the Nova Scotia diocese of Antigonish in 2009 after a search at the Ottawa airport of his laptop computer uncovered a cache of child pornography. He pleaded guilty in May 2011 to charges of possessing for the purpose of importing child pornography. The more than 600 photographs and videos found by police included scenes of bondage and boys in sex acts wearing a crucifix and rosary beads.
Juvenile lifers targeted for rape, excessive isolation in adult prisons — Juveniles doing time in adult prisons, surrounded by older and stronger criminals, rarely fare well. But juveniles serving sentences of life without parole in the United States face particularly daunting prospects of sexual assault, neglect and long periods of solitary confinement, according to a grim new report from Human Rights Watch. There are approximately 2,750 offenders in prison in 38 states who were under the age of eighteen when sentenced to life without parole (LWOP) — most of them for first-degree murder.
Monk jailed for abusing two boys at Somerset school — Richard David White, 66, pleaded guilty to five counts of indecent assault and two of gross indecency with a boy at a previous hearing last November. He asked that four offences against another boy, who has never complained to police, also be taken into account. White, of Hyde, Fordingbridge, Hampshire was sentenced at Taunton Crown Court. The offences took place in the 1980s when he taught at Downside School in Stratton-on-the-Fosse. The court heard that White was warned about his behaviour after molesting one 12-year-old boy but, instead of being reported to police, the Benedictine abbot of the monastery, which is attached to the school, simply prevented him from teaching younger students.
Penn State, Immaculata scandals bring attention to proposed laws — Kevin Waldrip was 13 years old in 1964, the year he says he was raped by a priest in Newark. But he didn’t tell anyone. Not even when the priest, Richard Galdon, was finally brought to justice in the 1980s for molesting more than a dozen other Catholic school boys as a Boy Scout troop chaplain. Galdon was sentenced in 1987 to 25 years in prison. But while Waldrip followed the scandal and trial in the newspaper, rejoicing in Galdon’s “comeuppance,” it took him until just six years ago to talk about what happened to him as a boy. “You keep it secret,” he said. “People are so embarrassed, so ashamed, you can’t bring yourself to speak to anyone — not to spouses, not to friends.”
Penn St. memos show funding fears, secrecy effort — Penn State’s board of trustees and president focused on repairing the school’s tarnished image and braced for financial backlash in the immediate aftermath of the child sex-abuse scandal that erupted two months ago, going so far as to recommend reminding any outraged donors that they wouldn’t get their money back, according to internal memos obtained by The Associated Press. Four memos sent Nov. 14-18 and released to the AP this week describe the school’s scrambling response less than two weeks after former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was arrested on child molestation charges. Two Penn State administrators also were charged with lying to a grand jury and failing to properly report suspected child abuse.
Politicians clueless about child abuse — The fact that it is so predictable makes it no less depressing. In the wake of the Penn State and Syracuse University scandals, New York politicians are falling all over themselves demanding that still more categories of professionals be added to the 43 already required to report any suspicion of child abuse to authorities. (“N.Y. can do more to stop sex abuse,” Commentary page, Dec. 9.) It makes for a great press release. But it guarantees only that more children will be hurt. Most of these cases are far more ambiguous than a man allegedly caught in the act of raping a child in the shower. In fact, most don’t involve “abuse” at all. Rather, they involve “neglect” — lack of adequate food, clothing, shelter or supervision. Often what’s called “neglect” is simply poverty.
Teen Accuses Ex-Penn State Coach Sandusky of Raping Him at Charity Camp on Campus — A teenager says he was raped by Jerry Sandusky inside his office in Penn State University’s football building in 2004 — two years after the ex-football coach was said to have had his campus keys taken away and was banned from bringing children into the building, the boy’s lawyer told FoxNews.com.
The now-19-year-old says Sandusky sodomized him when he was 12 years old and attending a summer camp program on the Penn State campus run by Second Mile, Sandusky’s charity organization. The accuser has initiated a civil suit against Sandusky, Second Mile and Penn State University.
Woman accused of sexual abuse of foster son — A Springfield woman remains jailed after being arrested last week for allegedly having sexual intercourse with her 16-year-old foster son in Washington Park. Gwanda K. Tribbet, 47, of the 100 block of North MacArthur Boulevard is charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse and criminal sexual assault. Her bond is set at $250,000. The boy and another foster child in Tribbet’s care were removed from the home after Tribbet’s arrest Dec. 28 and have been placed with other foster families in Springfield, according to Kendall Marlowe, spokesman for the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.