49 graves discovered at Fla. school could belong to abused boys — he number of unmarked graves believed to belong to boys killed when abuse went too far at Florida’s infamous Dozier School for Boys has risen to nearly 50. Eighteen more graves were discovered at a small cemetery where there were already 31 crosses for boys who died at the institution, which was closed in June 2011. Investigations into the school have yielded no proof of abuse, but a group of men who call themselves the “White House Boys” say there are probably many bodies unaccounted for.
Boy saved from abuse as RCMP make major child porn bust in Prairies, North — Police say a boy in Saskatchewan was rescued from years of abuse during a police investigation that targeted online child predators on the Prairies and the North. The RCMP’s Canadian Police Centre for Missing and Exploited Children announced Wednesday that 21 people have been arrested and 16 of them charged so far as part of Operation Snapshot. The charges include invitation to sexual touching, Internet luring, indecent exposure and accessing and distributing child pornography.
Boy Scouts sex abuse case: Attorneys releasing files on alleged scout leader child sex abusers — More than 20,000 confidential Boy Scout documents will be released Thursday identifying more than 1,000 leaders and volunteers banned from the group after being accused of sexual or inappropriate conduct with boys. The public release of the Scouts’ 1,247 “ineligible volunteer files” from 1965 to 1985 will not contain the identities of the boy victims and witnesses. The national files are being distributed with the approval of the Oregon Supreme Court by a law firm that won an $18.5 million judgment in 2010 against the Boy Scouts in a case where a Scoutmaster sexually abused a boy.
Florida’s Dozier School For Boys: A True Horror Story — Over the past decade, hundreds of men have come forward to tell gruesome stories of abuse and terrible beatings they suffered at Florida’s Dozier School for Boys, a notorious, state-run institution that closed last year after more than a century. Known as the “White House Boys,” these 300-some men were sent as boys to the reform school in the small panhandle town of Mariana in the 1950s and 1960s. They have joined together over the years to tell their stories of the violence administered in a small building on the school’s grounds they knew as the White House.
Intercourse ‘became the norm’ for sexually abused teenage boy — A TEENAGER sexually abused by a woman almost 30 years older has told police that intercourse ”sort of just became the norm”. He was not prepared to ”say it was forced upon me now, but it was just the norm of what happens”, he said in a statement. ”I never wanted to do it, but I felt as though I had to do it,” the victim, now 23, told police in 2010. He was 13 and at a Melbourne private school in 2002 when Deborah Goulopoulos first instigated sex with him. ”I knew it wasn’t right and I didn’t feel right,” he said in a statement. ”I had never had sex before this and I felt sick to the bottom of my stomach.”
Rights of young offenders ‘ignored’ — The human rights of children and young adults at St Patrick’s Institution in Dublin are being ignored or violated, a scathing report has found. Some inmates at the young offenders institute had their clothes removed by force, while others had family visits prohibited as a form of punishment, it emerged. The Inspector of Prisons, Judge Michael Reilly, also revealed investigations in the majority of prisoner complaints, including alleged assaults or serious inappropriate actions by prison officers, were flawed and incomplete.
Wish 2012: Survivors Manchester helps male sex abuse victims — A charity dedicated to helping male victims of sexual abuse and rape has joined the M.E.N. Wish List. Founded in 2009, Survivors Manchester, based in the city centre, offers one-to-one support, counselling, peer support groups and online self-help for victims, regardless of sexual orientation, race or religion. It’s a one-of-a-kind service in Manchester, as it is the only group dedicated solely to helping men who have been attacked at any point in their lives.
Young offenders prison abuse alert — Prison chaplains have warned they are not hopeful of any real lasting efforts to reduce human rights abuses inflicted on young offenders at St Patrick’s Institution. Fr Ciaran Enright, a priest in the Dublin Archdiocese, said if the country really is serious about children’s rights it cannot continue to turn its back on neglect and maltreatment in the centre. A damning report by Inspector of Prisons, Judge Michael Reilly, found offenders aged 16-21 stripped naked as a punishment, bullied, denied visits, on 23-hour lock up and restrained in head locks.