$500K to each boy in Haiti sex cases — Two dozen Haitian boys will each receive $500,000 in a settlement on their claims of sexual abuse at the hands of Douglas Perlitz while enrolled in Project Pierre Toussaint, a residential trade school in Cap-Haitien. “This settlement will be a life-changing event for them,” said Mitchell Garabedian, a Boston lawyer who headed the legal team representing the boys.
Abu Dhabi to set up centre for male sex abuse victims — Abu Dhabi is to set up a new centre for adult male victims of human trafficking and sexual abuse, the WAM news agency has confirmed. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, chairman of the UAE Red Crescent Authority, has issued a resolution for the establishing of the centre, which will be supervised by the Ewa’a Shelter for Women and Children in Abu Dhabi.
Domestic abuse research and policy isn’t taking male victims into account — That’s the findings from a review by a Scottish University. And Brian Dempsey, who carried out the research for the University of Dundee, said: “Research on men in Scotland is particularly scarce and there has been little attempt to understand their experience of domestic abuse or what effect this has on the children who witness that abuse.”
Home detention for woman’s sex abuse of boy — A female churchgoer who sexually abused the young son of a family she boarded with has narrowly avoided jail. The woman, whose identity is permanently suppressed, was yesterday sentenced in the Hamilton District Court to 10 months’ home detention after admitting two counts of sexual connection with a young person. She was also issued with a first warning under the “three strikes” sentencing law.
Idaho woman sentenced for having sex with underage boys — A southwest Idaho woman convicted for having sex with underage boys last year has been ordered to spend at least three years in prison before being eligible for parole. Courtney Sue Reschke, 35, of Kuna, pleaded guilty in April to six felony counts of lewd conduct with a minor, with all the encounters involving the same boy. In exchange for her plea, prosecutors dropped charges accusing her of abusing several other boys.
Men are also victims of sexual assault, expert says — “Don’t Be That Guy,” urged Vancouver police in a campaign against the sexual abuse of intoxicated women Thursday. But an anti-sexual-assault advocate said guys, too, are victims. “You almost never hear anything about it but sexual abuse against men in Vancouver is on the rise,” said Don Wright, founder of the B.C. Society for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse (BCSMSSA).
Sadist’s victims petition — TWO victims of child abuse carried out at a boys’ home in Walcha are about to find out why their perpetrator was never punished, in spite of being convicted of indecent assault. The victims, now middle-aged men, have asked NSW Attorney-General Greg Smith to find out why no action was taken against “Sarge” Albert Holloway, the “brutal and sadistic” husband of the matron of Ohio Boys Homes in Walcha.
Shining a light on male abuse — Organised by the Te Rito Family Violence Network and The Male Room with support from Nelson Bays Primary Health, Invisible Victims of Sexual Abuse will feature a talk by Ken Clearwater. Based in Christchurch and a former boxing champion, Ken is the national manager of the group Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse.
Underage sex-abuse conviction may be first in state — A King County Superior Court jury deliberated for about 30 minutes Wednesday before finding a Sumner man guilty of commercial sex abuse of a minor, handing down the first verdict of its kind in the county — and possibly the state — for men who pay for sex with underage girls.