1 in 3 Victims of Family Violence Are Male — Family First NZ says that research in association with the Department of Internal Affairs, Alcohol and Drug Association of New Zealand and the Canterbury Men’s Centre has found that 38% of recent victims of family violence in the Canterbury region have been male and that male victims are not gaining support. The researcher says that media coverage has only focused on female victims and that there is reluctance for men to speak up.
Boy Scouts sue insurer over sex-abuse settlements — The Boy Scouts of America is taking legal action against a unit of a leading property/casualty insurer, claiming the company refused to provide insurance coverage for settlements of child sex-abuse cases from the late 1970s. The organization alleges that National Union Fire Insurance Company – a Pittsburg unit of American International Group – neither defended nor settled the claims that were brought by sex abuse victims from 1975 to 1980 and totaled about $60 million.
Colorado GOP Legislator Implies Gay Boy Scout Leaders Should Be Drowned — Colorado State Rep. Gordon Klingenschmitt (R-Colorado Springs), in Monday’s edition of his online video series called “Pray in Jesus’ Name,” urged his viewers to pull their children out of the Boy Scouts because “homosexual men mentoring and camping” with boys “will lead to child abuse.” “The children are in danger,” said Klingenschmitt, a first-term Republican. “It’s not about the sexual pleasure of the adults. It should be about protecting innocent children.”
Convicted paedophile caught with thousands of child abuse images — A convicted paedophile, who had been released early from a three-year prison sentence for sexually abusing a 14-year-old-girl, was caught with thousands of child abuse images. Kenneth Cooper, 60, of Magnon Court, Leighton Buzzard, shared 500 of the pictures and movies with other perverts, Luton Crown Court heard on Tuesday. After hearing that Cooper had also been convicted of having indecent images of children in 2004, Judge David Farrell QC said that he regarded him as posing a significant risk of causing sexual harm to children.
Country’s youngest murderer nears prison release — On Tuesday — barring any last-minute setbacks — the country’s youngest murderer will walk out of prison, free for the first time since he was 12 years old. Curtis Fairchild Jones and his 13-year-old sister, Catherine, admitted to killing their father’s girlfriend, Sonya Nicole Speights, in 1999. Initial signs pointed to jealousy as the motive, but a closer look at documents and child welfare reports revealed the siblings targeted Speights, their father and another male relative living with them, whom they claimed was sexually abusing them.
Disgraced priest is jailed for 21 months for indecent assault on boy — A DISGRACED priest has been jailed after being told by a judge his abuse of boys was a ‘gross breach of trust’. Terry Knight, 77, appeared for sentencing at Portsmouth Crown Court after being found guilty during an earlier trial of indecently assaulting a 12-year-old boy. It is the second time Knight has been convicted for offences in the 1980s at St Saviour’s Anglican Church in Stamshaw, Portsmouth.
Former adult leader again named in sexual abuse lawsuit against Boy Scouts — Yet another man is charging the Boy Scouts with failing to protect him decades ago against a former St. Paul adult scout leader who allegedly abused him dozens of times when he was an adolescent and took naked photographs of him. The scout leader, Leland “Lee” Opalinski, has been named in three other civil suits against the Boy Scouts of America since late June, when Ramsey County Commissioner Jim McDonough announced he was seeking damages from the Scouts and the local Northern Star Council for four years of sexual abuse by Opalinski.
Hope for Men helps childhood sexual abuse victims — He kept it a secret for 40 years. Told no one. Stuffed it into an internal suitcase, closed the lid and locked it up. Three years of his childhood. The hay loft. The old man with whiskey on his breath. The whiskers. A 40-year-old’s body on top of a 10-year-old boy. The money. He thought he was the only one. So he lived as if it never happened, or so he thought. But over years, the sexual abuse he endured in his childhood seeped out into his life like leachate from a dump.
San Pedro Teacher, 28, Suspected of Sexual Abuse of 15-Year-Old Student: LAPD — A 28-year-old female teacher at San Pedro High has been arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing a 15-year-old male student, Los Angeles police announced Tuesday. Michelle Yeh was on a temporary teaching assignment at the San Pedro school’s science department in February, according to a news release from the Los Angeles Police Department. At the end of the 2015 school year, she “reached out to the victim and arranged private meetings,” the release stated.
Stopping the stigma of male sexual abuse — As a divorce attorney who is gay, there’s really very little I haven’t heard from people about what they do, what they have suffered and what their deepest darkest thoughts, fears and actions are. People, men especially, open up to me in ways that they rarely, if ever, will open up to their closest friends and spouses. I’m honored that people trust me with their secrets, their hurts, their mistakes. But it’s difficult to hear sometimes the abuses that have been visited upon others, especially when that abuse comes in the form of sexual abuse and trauma.
Tortured teen gets millions in settlement — A young man who was held captive and tortured in a house on Tennis Lane as a teenager has been awarded $4 million in a settlement with Sacramento County on behalf of Child Protective Services. According to a statement issued July 23 by his legal representatives, Kyle Doe — whose full name was withheld because of his age at the time of the crimes against him, but who has previously been identified as Kyle R. and Kyle Ramirez — is happy and healthy and living with an aunt and uncle who love him.
Vacaville woman, boyfriend appear in court in case alleging sexual abuse of young boy — A Vacaville woman and her boyfriend will return to Solano County Superior Court in September for the setting of a jury trial date in a case involving the alleged sexual assault of a young family member. Michelle V. Souza and her boyfriend, Ricky A. Groseclose appeared in court Wednesday for the setting of a trial date, however, attorneys in the case agreed to delay the setting of a trial date until Sept. 4. Both face serious felony charges in connection with the sexual assaults of a young boy.