Head of Australian prison abuse inquiry quits, replaced by aboriginal leader — The head of an Australian inquiry into the abuse of children in detention resigned on Monday, four days after being appointed to investigate prison video of aboriginal boys being abused, citing his lack of support from the country’s indigenous leaders. The Royal Commission will now be conducted by two commissioners, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda and retired Supreme Court judge Margaret White, Attorney-General George Brandis said Monday.
Former LA Sheriff Baca Withdraws Guilty Plea to Test Fate with Jury — Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca withdrew his guilty plea to a federal corruption charge today and will go to trial, with a court date tentatively set for September. After a morning of delays and last-minute negotiations, Baca told U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson he wished to withdraw from an agreement in which the retired lawman had pleaded guilty to a false statements charge, which ordinarily carries a possible five-year prison sentence. The plea deal called for Baca to serve no more than six months behind bars.
The Men’s Rights Movement: A Smart, Necessary Counterweight To Man-Hating Feminism — At the start of July, the second International Conference on Men’s issues was held at the ExCel centre in London, two years after the inaugural conference in Detroit. Jointly hosted by A Voice for Men and the British political party Justice for Men and Boys, men from all around the world flocked to the centre to hear people discuss real issues that affected them.
No surprises in abuse of Indigenous children — The big headline on the front page of the Koori Mail in September 2015 – “Children gassed” – should have been a dead giveaway. Indigenous media such as the Koori Mail, NITV, CAAMA and Land Rights News were reporting on the horrors routinely perpetrated in the Don Dale youth detention centre throughout 2015. The ABC’s own Anthony Stewart filed an “exclusive report”, including some of the video footage, on 19 December 2014.
Paedophile ring headed by a senior Anglican priest forced children at a boys’ home to have group sex in a locked room – and cut them to symbolise ‘the blood of Christ’ — An Anglican home for boys in the Hunter region of NSW was used by a paedophile ring headed by a senior clergyman to access and sexually abuse children. On Tuesday the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse opened a two-week hearing into what the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle did to stop priest Peter Rushton and a pedophile network of clergy and laypeople who preyed on children for decades.
Peterborough man admits sexual abuse of children over seven year period — Adam Aitken (28) of Kinnears Walk, Orton Goldhay, appeared at Peterborough Crown Court on Friday where he admitted a number of offences, including raping a 12-year-old boy. In total, he admitted offences against five children, aged between eight and 15 years old. Aitken, who appeared at the court via video link from HMP Bedford, shook his head as he entered the pleas.
Roberts: DCS was called HOW MANY TIMES to burned boy’s house? — Sad to say it – shocking, actually — but the severe burns that recently sent a 6-year-old boy to the hospital may be the best thing that ever happened to him. It’s pretty clear the state of Arizona hasn’t been much help to him so far. The little boy caught the attention of Phoenix police on July 12 after he was brought to Maricopa County Burn Center with severe burns to his feet – the result of standing barefoot on the ground in the backyard for 10 minutes.