Bulletin Board v268

1 in 3 Victims of Family Violence Are Male — Family First NZ says that research in association with the Department of Internal Affairs, Alcohol and Drug Association of New Zealand and the Canterbury Men’s Centre has found that 38% of recent victims of family violence in the Canterbury region have been male and that male victims are not gaining support. The researcher says that media coverage has only focused on female victims and that there is reluctance for men to speak up.

Boy Scouts sue insurer over sex-abuse settlements — The Boy Scouts of America is taking legal action against a unit of a leading property/casualty insurer, claiming the company refused to provide insurance coverage for settlements of child sex-abuse cases from the late 1970s. The organization alleges that National Union Fire Insurance Company – a Pittsburg unit of American International Group – neither defended nor settled the claims that were brought by sex abuse victims from 1975 to 1980 and totaled about $60 million.

Colorado GOP Legislator Implies Gay Boy Scout Leaders Should Be Drowned — Colorado State Rep. Gordon Klingenschmitt (R-Colorado Springs), in Monday’s edition of his online video series called “Pray in Jesus’ Name,” urged his viewers to pull their children out of the Boy Scouts because “homosexual men mentoring and camping” with boys “will lead to child abuse.” “The children are in danger,” said Klingenschmitt, a first-term Republican. “It’s not about the sexual pleasure of the adults. It should be about protecting innocent children.”

Convicted paedophile caught with thousands of child abuse images — A convicted paedophile, who had been released early from a three-year prison sentence for sexually abusing a 14-year-old-girl, was caught with thousands of child abuse images. Kenneth Cooper, 60, of Magnon Court, Leighton Buzzard, shared 500 of the pictures and movies with other perverts, Luton Crown Court heard on Tuesday. After hearing that Cooper had also been convicted of having indecent images of children in 2004, Judge David Farrell QC said that he regarded him as posing a significant risk of causing sexual harm to children. Continue reading

Royal Commission hears testimony of systematic abuse

Originally posted on May 22, 2015

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse began its public hearings this week. The hearings are taking place in Ballartis holding long-awaited public hearings in Ballarat in Victoria, Australia. The purpose is to examine the abuse children experiences at the hands of Catholic clergy over the last few decades, particularly during the 1970s. It is not good:

Ballarat was one of the most horrific sites of abuse and it was revealed that in 1971, all male teachers and the chaplain at the St Alipius primary school were molesting children.

[Senior Counsel Assisting the Commission Gail] Furness said the royal commission would also hear from a survivor who had a photograph of his grade four class at St Alipius in the 1970s.

She said he would tell the hearing, of the 33 boys pictured, 12 had committed suicide.

That is astounding. It is shocking in part because of the severity of the impact. A third of the boys from a single class committed suicide. More troubling is that apparently all the men in positions of power in the school abused children. It also appears that many of the women at the schools knew of the abuse and did nothing to stop it. Sometimes they engaged in abuse themselves.

I find it difficult to believe that something like that could happen and no one would know about it. There are too many people, both abusers and victims, involved for this to go unheard and unseen. This is not just a cover-up by the Catholic Church. This also implicates the Australian local government. Many people had to know about this and choose to ignore it for it to get to this stage.

The stories the men share are particularly horrific, not only in their physical brutality but also in the callousness displayed by the abusers and their enablers. For example: Continue reading

Bulletin Board v266

2 Former Minnesota Boy Scouts Suing Over Alleged Abuse — Two men sued the Boy Scouts of America on Thursday, saying they were sexually abused as scouts by troop leaders in St. Paul more than 40 years ago. Their attorney, Jeff Anderson, said the lawsuits allege that the Boy Scouts organization created a public nuisance by its negligence and concealment of abuse allegations and by failing to warn parents and others about the “prevalence” of abuse.

Appogg urged to address some domestic violence programmes for male victims, female perpetrators — The National Audit Office (NAO) expressed concern today that the Appogg social welfare agency in its programmes on domestic violence is geared towards addressing abuse perpetrated against women, while attending to male victims is largely considered to be a distant secondary priority. The agency was also found lacking in programmes aimed at female perpetrators.

Boy, 10, looked like ‘prisoner of war’ after beaten, shot by mom, officials say — A mother of seven is accused of severely starving and beating her two young sons, even shooting the boys with a BB gun.The details of the abuse, which came to light last year, were so shocking that Harris County Precinct 4 deputy constables likened the abuse to how prisoners of war are treated. Sandra Anna Gonzalez is charged with two counts of injury to a child. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v265

Acclaimed teacher Anne Lakey jailed for eight years for underage sex — A former high-flying headteacher has been jailed for eight years for having sex with two underage boys in the 1980s. Anne Lakey, 55, from Stanley, County Durham, had won national acclaim for improving schools, but her successful career hid a sordid past. She took the virginity of two boys aged 13-14 and another aged 15 when she was in her late 20s and working as a history and RE teacher in Sunderland. Police believe there could be more victims of Lakey.

Accused youth worker from Poole repeatedly denies abusing school boys — A POOLE teaching support worker has refuted allegations he abused two boys while employed at different schools. Repeatedly, in answer to defence barrister Michael Hall, Graham Gilmour replied “absolutely not” if there was any truth to the allegations. The case against the 43-year-old rests on the testimony of two boys who claimed they were victims of historic sexual abuse while attending Greggs School in Southampton and Chandlers Ford-based Lakeside School, a special education unit catering for children with behavioural problems.

Cabin Hill Prep: ‘Ongoing investigation’ into allegations of rape and sex assault between boys at school, judge hears — Sex abuse police are conducting an “ongoing investigation” into allegations of rape and sex assault between boys at top school Cabin Hill Prep, a judge heard today. The revelation came at Downpatrick Crown Court as defence QC Kieran Mallon pleaded with Judge Brian Sherard to treat the case against a 28-year-old internet pervert as unique and “exceptional.” Continue reading

Bulletin Board v 264

Archdiocese criminally charged with ‘failing to protect’ sex abuse victims — The Ramsey County attorney’s office filed criminal charges Friday against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis for “failing to protect children” from an abusive priest. The charges stem from the archdiocese’s oversight of former priest Curtis Wehmeyer, who is now serving a prison term for abusing two boys while he was pastor of Blessed Sacrament Church in St. Paul. “

Bullied Boy With Cancer Severely Beaten, Left Unconscious, Gets Suspended By School — Julia Morales is absolutely fed up with the formidable treatment her son has suffered at the hands of several vicious bullies at Henry P. Becton Regional High School in East Rutherford, NJ. According to My-9 NJ, Morales’ cancer-stricken, 16-year-old son has allegedly been mistreated for quite some time. The relentless torment and taunting initially began with verbal abuse.

Child abuse accused ex-pilot Bartle Frere ‘liked to help boys’ — A former British Airways pilot on trial for child sex offences has told a court he liked to help boys purely to encourage them and see them develop. Bartle Frere, 51, from Shipton Gorge, Dorset, said he carried out unpaid photography work at several private schools in England. Police searched his home in November 2013 and seized DVDs, boy’s underwear and Viagra, the jury heard. He denies a string of sexual offences dating back to 2001. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v263

14 years in prison for Wollaton paedophile who filmed sex acts with young boys — Child molester Steven Peck has been jailed for 14 years after admitting he groomed young boys for sex. Over a seven-year period, he befriended three youngsters, plying them with gifts and taking them on days out, while abusing them – at venues including Wollaton Park. It was only when one of the victims told his grandmother two years ago that the crimes came to light.

Boys bear the pain alone – Sexual assault of males under-reported — As more agencies turn their searchlight on sexual abuse of the country’s young girls, there is an increasingly loud call for more emphasis to be placed on boys who are victims of sexual abuse. According to Everton Hannam, chairman of the National Parent-Teacher Association in Jamaica, he was very disappointed that there appears to be no overwhelming drive towards identifying and assisting male victims.

Child sex abuse claims shake United Nations — The boys said they approached the French soldiers because they were hungry. Some were so young they didn’t quite understand the acts the soldiers demanded in return. One boy, 8 or 9 years old, said he did it several times to the same soldier, “until one day an older kid saw him and told him what he was doing was bad.” Another boy, 9, said he thought the soldiers had been urinating. Continue reading

Bulletin Board v261

Illiberal Feminism Is Running Amok — When men disagree with illiberal feminists, a favored silencing tactic is to accuse them of “mansplaining.” The term grew out of a fairly brilliant 2008 essay by feminist writer Rebecca Solnit, who described the exquisitely annoying feeling of having a certain type of man condescendingly lecture a woman on a topic about which he knows very little—in this case Solnit’s own book.

Men Can Be Raped Too: Expert Urges Government to Recognize Male Rape — For the sake of gender equality, Jia Jian, a legal expert lecturer at the Chongqing-based Southwest University of Political Science and Law, made a proposal last Monday that the Chinese government expand the Criminal Law’s definition of rape victims in order to include males.

National support for abused men — For the first time in New Zealand, a national structure has been set up specifically to support male survivors of sexual abuse. Members from regional support groups around the country gathered at a hui in Nelson and made a commitment to the body, which would be known as the Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trust Aotearoa New Zealand (MSSAT).

Sexual assault cases: ‘Nirbhaya’ centres to focus on young male victims — Growing increasingly aware of molestation and sexual assault of young boys, the civic body will soon set up ‘Nirbhaya’ centres that, apart from providing medico-legal, surgical and psychological counseling to women victims, will also specifically cater to adolescent boys who have been subjected to such assaults. Continue reading