Woman convicted in child sex ring case

A 34-year-old woman from Norwich faces years in prison after a juror found her guilty of 23 sex crimes. What makes Marie Black’s case unusual is that she played a pivotal role in the child sex ring:

Opening the trial, prosecutor Angela Rafferty QC said Black, previously known as Marie Adams, played an instrumental role in using the children as sexual play-things.

The abuse, which is said to have happened in and around Norwich and London, included forcing the children to have sex with one another.

On some occasions, the adults threw parties and played card games to decide who would abuse which child, Mrs Rafferty said.

In interviews the victims described how they were abused in front of one another and other adults. Some of the abuse involved children’s toys, including Barbie dolls.

Black denied all the charges, claiming that she was being “stitched up.” Continue reading

Bulletin Board v267

Abuse against boy ‘preventable’ says judge during sentencing; young mother jailed for harming son — A young Adelaide mother may only spend about another three months in jail after being sentenced for an attack on her two-year-old son, which left him with bite marks, bruises and scratches all over his body. The judge slammed Families SA for failing the boy, saying the crime could have been prevented if the department had acted on 19 notifications about his welfare.

Another former boy scout files abuse lawsuit – over 100 more could follow — Another lawsuit has been filed against the Boy Scouts of America over alleged abuse by a Scout leader – and his attorneys think at least “a hundred more” lawsuits from Minnesota will follow. Minneapolis-based Noaker Law Firm filed a complaint Tuesday in Ramsey County District Court against the BSA and the Northern Star Council Boy Scouts of America relating to sexual abuse a former scout suffered at the hands of Scout Leader Leland Opalinski.

Bangladesh hunts attackers of teen beaten to death — Hundreds of people have formed a human chain outside the home of the 13-year-old boy who was beaten to death in Bangladesh to protest the killing, as police hunted for a group of men who lashed the boy to a stake, beat him to death, and put a video of the torture online. Police said an autopsy on Samiul Alam Rajon revealed scores of injuries all over his body, including on the head and chest. He died due to internal bleeding. Continue reading

Jake, Josie, and consent

This image floated around social media over the week:

noconsentsex

The print on the bottom right side of the image states that it came from Coastal Carolina University. A redditor contacted the school concerning the image and received this response:

Thank you contacting CHANT411,

The poster referenced in your email was created and distributed on our campus approximately 8 years ago and was very short lived ­­– long before other campuses our size were having in-depth discussions regarding consent. Since that time, the conversation with our students about sexual consent has changed dramatically. Currently, educational initiatives regarding consent on the Coastal Carolina University campus include extensive online and in-person education.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Scott

That is a typical response explaining nothing at all. The school uses a new poster now, one more confusing and ridiculous than the original. Continue reading

Royal Commission hears testimony of systematic abuse

Originally posted on May 22, 2015

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse began its public hearings this week. The hearings are taking place in Ballartis holding long-awaited public hearings in Ballarat in Victoria, Australia. The purpose is to examine the abuse children experiences at the hands of Catholic clergy over the last few decades, particularly during the 1970s. It is not good:

Ballarat was one of the most horrific sites of abuse and it was revealed that in 1971, all male teachers and the chaplain at the St Alipius primary school were molesting children.

[Senior Counsel Assisting the Commission Gail] Furness said the royal commission would also hear from a survivor who had a photograph of his grade four class at St Alipius in the 1970s.

She said he would tell the hearing, of the 33 boys pictured, 12 had committed suicide.

That is astounding. It is shocking in part because of the severity of the impact. A third of the boys from a single class committed suicide. More troubling is that apparently all the men in positions of power in the school abused children. It also appears that many of the women at the schools knew of the abuse and did nothing to stop it. Sometimes they engaged in abuse themselves.

I find it difficult to believe that something like that could happen and no one would know about it. There are too many people, both abusers and victims, involved for this to go unheard and unseen. This is not just a cover-up by the Catholic Church. This also implicates the Australian local government. Many people had to know about this and choose to ignore it for it to get to this stage.

The stories the men share are particularly horrific, not only in their physical brutality but also in the callousness displayed by the abusers and their enablers. For example: Continue reading

Reports of rape against men double in Manchester

Originally posted on May 8, 2015

According to the Greater Manchester Police, the rate of reports of male rape doubled in the last year:

Since April 2014, men have been victims of 84 incidents of rape or attempted rape, compared to 35 in the previous 12 months.

Sexual assaults on men have also risen, from 69 to 93 in the same periods.

GMP and Survivors Manchester, a group that helps men who have been raped or sexually abused, have launched a poster campaign aimed at men who have been the victims of rape, urging them to come forward and break the silence.

While the overall reported numbers are low and likely unrepresentative of the actual rate of sexual violence against men and boys, the increase in reporting shows that the problem is greater than people assume. Continue reading

Why do MRAs attack feminism?

Karen Straughan explains why men’s rights activists “attack” feminism in her new video. I would not call questioning feminist theories, activism, and policies an “attack.” If one finds those things to be biased, it makes sense to criticize them.

However, far too many feminists view criticism as “harassment” and “misogyny.” Straughan explains precisely why the criticism is neither of those things. She also explains the position of non-feminists in general.

If one wants to point out, for example, the bias in the domestic violence support community, specifically how domestic violence is painted as something only men do to only women, how does one do this without noting who created the bias? How does one note who created the bias without mentioning why their bias is a problem? How does one mention the bias without commenting on the ideology that caused it?

One cannot, as Straughan confirms. One will have no choice but to “attack” those peddling the misinformation if one wishes to fix the problems caused by said misinformation. Straughan lays this out as only she can: Continue reading

Rape in the UK Military

I wrote before about the problem of sexual violence in the United States military. It now appears the United Kingdom has a similar problem:

At least three rapes and 22 sexual assaults have been carried out against men in the UK military forces over the last two years, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) revealed under a Freedom of Information request.

Last February, a 20-year-old man was subject to “assault by penetration” by a group of seven men, The Times reported.

In May, another soldier, 28, was attacked by his seven fellow servicemen, while three other young men in the army – one of them 18 years old – were the victims of penetrative sexual assaults over the last year.

All in all, there have been 25 assaults between October 2012 and October 2014, the report revealed.

The numbers were disclosed by the MoD under Freedom of Information requests. They refer only to information gathered by military police, meaning that the real numbers could be much higher.

A former army officer offers his views: Continue reading